ST. GEORGE — Region 9’s all-region boys soccer team was recently announced, with two players from St. George schools sharing most valuable player honors.
Ben Simister, a junior forward for Desert Hills, and Drew Durrant, a senior midfielder for Dixie, were the region’s co-MVPs, as selected by the coaches.
Simister led the 4A classification with 21 goals scored in 21 games, while adding 17 assists. The defending state champions, the Thunder finished this year’s season with a second-place finish in the state tournament, falling to Sky View 1-0 in the 4A championship game on May 11.
“Ben had a great season,” Desert Hills head coach Benji Nelson said, adding that Simister was also selected by Allstate Insurance as an All-American player and was nominated by Gatorade as a Player of the Year in Utah.
Nelson said he is looking forward to have Simister back next year, along with fellow returning stars Sawyer Heaton and goalkeeper Preston Hodges, who were also named to the 4A classification’s all-state first team.
“They will all be returning as seniors this next year, along with five other starters, hoping to make a run for the state championship,” Nelson added.
Durrant, who recently graduated from Dixie High, will be missed by his teammates and coaches, head coach Burton Myers told St. George News.
The Flyers finished their season tied for first place in Region 9 with Desert Hills, with each team having 11-1 region records. Myers cited Durrant’s strong presence on the field as being a major factor in the team’s success.
“He is a great leader and he is admired and respected by his teammates,” Myers said, noting that Durrant comes from a soccer-loving family. “Drew can make decisions when unique or demanding situations arise.”
Following is a listing of the Region 9 all-region soccer teams, as selected by the coaches.
Region 9 all-region boys soccer team, 2019
- Ben Simister, Desert Hills.
- Drew Durrant, Dixie.
First team all-region
- Preston Hodges, Desert Hills.
- Sawyer Heaton, Desert Hills.
- Trevin Lindstrom, Desert Hills.
- Kai Klingonsmith, Desert Hills.
- Oscar Quintero, Dixie.
- Christian Wittwer, Dixie.
- Andy Rich, Dixie.
- Easton Ellett, Dixie.
- Isaac Fletcher, Cedar.
- Tito Garcia, Cedar.
- Royce Hubbard, Hurricane.
- Firew Kuma Kai Burke, Pine View.
- Kirk Brown, Snow Canyon.
- Cole Warner, Snow Canyon.
- Luis Gamez, Snow Canyon.
- Hunter Talbot, Canyon View.
- Chase Hunter, Canyon View.
Second team all-region
- Jacob Wittwer, Snow Canyon.
- Dillon Hoskins, Snow Canyon.
- Jorge Segura, Snow Canyon.
- Jacob Larkin, Dixie.
- Kian Rocha, Dixie.
- Isaac Diaz, Dixie.
- Danny Morales, Dixie.
- Justin Brown, Cedar.
- Drake Olsen, Cedar.
- Joddy Arakaza, Cedar.
- Garett Lewis, Desert Hills.
- Will Schroder, Desert Hills.
- Logan Amick, Desert Hills.
- Adam Guymon, Desert Hills.
- Stockton Jones, Desert Hills.
- Louie Frausto, Pine View.
- Traxten Turek, Pine View.
- Kainoa Murdoch, Hurricane.
- Edgar Arana Molina, Canyon View.
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2019, all rights reserved.